For the sponge
- 3 free range eggs
- 150g/6 oz caster sugar and a little extra to dust
- 150g/6 oz Grahams butter plus a little extra to grease the tins
- 150g/6 oz self raising flower
- A drop of vanilla extract
For the filling
- Good quality strawberry jam
- Grahams whipping cream
Preheat the oven to 170 C/Gas 3-4. Grease and line two 18cm (7 in) tins with baking parchment.
Sieve the flour into a bowl and add the sugar, butter and vanilla extract. Crack the eggs and mix well, until light and fluffy.
Divide the mixture evenly between the tins. Use a spatula to remove any excess from the bowl and gently smooth the surface of the mixture in the tins.
Place the tins on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Leave the cakes to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Once cakes have cooled, place one of the cakes upside down on a plate and spread with jam and cream. Place the other cake on top and sprinkle with caster sugar.