Sponge (Makes 12 cupcakes)
- 55g Graham’s Unsalted Butter (soft)
- 130g Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Free-Range Egg (large)
- 190g Plain Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- 25g Golden Syrup
- 45g Treacle
- 150g Pitted Dates
- 150 ml Boiling Water
- ¾ teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 90g Graham’s Double Cream
- 45g Graham’s Unsalted Butter
- 45g Dark Brown Sugar
- 25g Golden Syrup
- 125g Graham’s Unsalted Butter (soft)
- 250g Icing Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the butterscotch sauce:
- Place all the ingredients in to a saucepan and, over a medium heat, stir until combined and boiling. Place to the side to cool.
For the sponge:
Cream the butter and sugar until soft and pale in a food mixer or with a hand held mixer for around 2 minutes.
- Add the beaten egg a little at a time until combine, then add the golden syrup and treacle and continue to blend until smooth.
- Next, sift the flour and baking powder on top of the mixture and beat, again at low speed, for one minute or until combined.
- Finally, blend the pitted dates and boiling water in a food processor for 2 minutes until smooth. Stir the bicarbonate of soda in to the date mixture.
- Add the date mixture to the cake mix and blend together with a metal spoon until combined.
- Divide the batter between 12 cupcake cases in a muffin tin and bake in a fan oven at 180C for 22 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the cupcakes on a wire rack to cool down.
- Once the cakes have cooled, use an apple corer to remove the centre of the sponge and fill each cupcake with the cooled butterscotch sauce.
For the buttercream:
- Cream the butter, at a medium speed, preferably with a hand mixer or food mixer until soft and pale – around 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sift the icing sugar on top of the mixture and blend on a medium speed on your mixer for 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl, add the vanilla extract and continue to blend for one more minute.
- Use a palette knife or piping bag, frost each cooled cupcake with vanilla buttercream.
- Decorate the cupcakes by drizzling with butterscotch sauce and enjoy!